French Onion Soup Post Sandy and Pre Snowstorm
Ingredients: (for 4 people)
– 4 large onions
– 2 shallots
– 50 gr of butter
– 1 s/sp of olive oil
– 1 s/sp of flour
– 1,5 l of beef stock
– Bread crouttons
– Coarsely grated Comté/Gruyère
– Thym or Sage
– Salt and Pepper
– Thinly slice onions and shallots
– Put the butter, olive oil and thym or sage into a big pan (non-stick). Add the onions and shallots and stir everything round.
– When onions become soft and golden add the port and after a few minutes add the flour, stir to avoid burning.
– Add the beef stock, bring to the boil and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
– Preheat the oven to maximun.
– Coarsely grate your Gruyère or Comté cheese.
– Once the soup is ready, serve it into four oven resistant bowls.
– Add the crouttons on top and cover with plenty of cheese.
– Put into the oven until the cheese starts getting brown and crusty.